Monday 6 April 2009

Mon 6th April: Piece Of Mind

Tomorrow is the auction for the "Piece of Mind" quilt project which I first blogged about in December when I made my section for the assembly. Last week I was asked about why i did it for DazedDigital.com. I wish I had looked up my original post and used that, as it is far more articulate than what I actually came up with for the interview question! Since I was initially asked to contribute, a whole hearty 85 other artists have supplied a square so i can't wait till tomorrow to see how it has all been sewn together!

To learn more about the event, here is my blog post from Dec 04 (and my Dazeddigi entry with accompanying image from the site).


I have been able to put my patchwork penchant to perfect use with a new charity project for Shelter, UK and Bowery Mission, NY. Graphic design mavericks Marque have requested cooperation from international creatives to come up with a square to contribute to a complete work of art. Quilts assembled from each "piece of mind" will be exhibited and then auctioned with the profits going directly to the cities respective charities tackling homelessness. What a fantastic idea, to get the creative community collaborating by hand-making an artwork. To put love into each piece and extend this positive energy by financing solving a global epidemic that we are each powerless to change on a personal level. I'm so chuffed to have been asked to get involved. Here is my square which was painstakingly sewn and painted by my latest placement student Laura Gostling who has finally finished her 9 weeks. Laura, you have been an absolute star and will be sadly missed!



Dazed Digital ask some of the designers and artists involved in the project "What they contributed to the quilt and why?"

Fred Butler
'A 3-Dimensional patchwork made of 16 tiny squares that are joined by flaps. It is a black satin base with multicolour and iridescent painted sections. Its a cheery fun thing, like all my work. I walk past the same homeless man every morning on route to my studio. It depresses the hell out of me. I can't believe he gets through each winter night, living open to the elements. That's just London, New York has a much harsher climate (where the Bowery mission is based). f I can put positive energy into making something for this project, hopefully it will transmit that vibe out to the greater unconscious. (I sound like a hippy here but heh, patchwork blankets are quite hippy so please let me off!)




Private View and Auction of
A Little Piece of Mind

A Little Piece of Mind
Tuesday 7th April 2009
6pm—9pm
Auction at 8pm

Show open to public
10—15th April 2009
1—4pm

Londonewcastle Project Space
28 Redchurch Street, London E2 7DP
www.alittlepieceofmind.org



404Design / Airside / Alexia Cox / Alice Rebecca Potter / Amy Butler / Westminster Fibers / Andrea Kornhes / BCMH / Begg / Bettina von Kameke / Boudicca / C.P. Company / Caroline Broadhead / Cath Kidston / Christian Bradley West / Daisy de Villeneuve / Damien Poulain / Davy Jones / Eley Kishimoto / Elton & Jacobsen / Elvis Robertson / Frauke Stegmann / Fred Butler / Gavin Turk / Giles Deacon / Graeme Black / Hector Pottie / Homework / Hussein Chalayan / IIona Marx / Janine Trott / Jean Paul Gaultier / Jo Wood / Jonathan Ellery / Jose Manuel Hortelano / Kaffe Fassett / Westminster Fibers / Kate Moss / Katey Jean-Harvey / Kinder Aggugini / Lenard Smith / Liberty / Lisa Smith / Lizzie Finn / Luella / Marc Jacobs / Marcel Zyskind / Melissa Price / MTWTF / Myla / Natasha Marshall / OK-RM / Oliver Spencer / Orla Kiely / Paul Smith / Peter Stitson / Poppy de Villeneuve / PPQ / Pringle / Rachel Speed / Rankin / Remi/Rough / Richard Nicoll / Richard Shed / RMJM / Ross Phillips / Rupert Sanderson / Russell Bell / Sarah Blick / Sibylle Stoeckli / Silberfischer / Six Eight Seven Six / Slow and Steady Wins the Race / Sophia Kokosalaki / Squint / Stella McCartney / Stephen Jones / Stone Island / Swarovski / Temperley / Timothy Everest / Tom Dixon / Topshop / Troika / Urban Outfitters / Value and Service / Village Green / Vivienne Westwood


Here is my square as modelled by Arhcie the Whippet when he was in residency at our studio. Photo Chloe Bell



1 comment:

Jessica Dance said...

looks lovely..... i love archie