Wednesday 27 May 2009

Weds 27th May: Corsetorama

I have to make a corset today.  As you do.  Or don't!  So I'm getting some guidance from looking at a corset kindly donated to me by Alistair Carr from one of his first collections.  Its a hand-dyed and embroidered satin piece with gold matador detailing which I'm scared to hazard a guess at how long it took!  I think the original structure was made for Alistair by Mr.Pearl who he originally trained under.  
Here is another corset that Mr.Pearl made for Alistair as a birthday present in 1997.   It is in the permanent  fashion collection on show at The Royal Pavilion Museum in Brighton.  So I feel very privileged that I have been entrusted with one of these beauties.  But even better that I can use it to continue the flow of work................although I wouldn't want either of them to know that I only have 1 day to make one instead of a few weeks/months!   So here goes..........




To see what else is on show at the Museum :  http://www.virtualmuseum.info/collections/default.asp

2 comments:

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Wow, I think I stood next to Alistair Carr at a Philip Treacy show once - prob around 98-99. We talked about Mr Pearl for sure. Name is ringing a v loud bell...! What's he doing these days?

fredbutlerstyle said...

Hi YA!

Alistair Carr is one of the best men born onto earth. Infact, he was sent from heaven. Im glad you met him! Thanks for the question.............

He ended his own line in London and after stints at Marni, Cacharel and Chloe he is now at Balenciaga........remember the neoprene sculpted pastel colour suits........can't wait to see what the future holds for him........whatever it is I'll be blogging it. But whilst he is at Balenciaga I cant get anything out of him! Its so top secret. DAMNIT!