Sunday 25 October 2009

Sunday 25th October: Sweeter than a Daisy Kiss

Dazed & Confused Magazine invited me down to Selfridges for the launch of their T-Shirt collaboration with Edun, designed by Jo Ratcliffe for  War Child.  15% of the sales from this limited edition collection will go to their current projects in the Congo ........hence Jo's hand drawn illustrations of a tiger, lion, zebra and snake emblazoned on the front.   A little weird to think that whilst we had the privilege of enjoying music and drinks in London's Westend, children were carrying on coping with their daily realities in the war zone of the democratic republic............but I guess if it means spreading the word to boost sales to get the cash flowing into the funds, it might be worth it.........
War Child are a Kentish Town based charity who chose another Kentish Town concern to perform at the opening..........Kitty, Daisy and Lewis.  There are lots of snaps here as the band that comprise of 5 family members interchange instruments during the set.  I LOVE this gimmick of the group, their energy is just so natural and fluid between bashing drums or tapping a xylophone.  Needless to say, I am a big fan of my local band and it was a hilarious coincidence that they turned up at my next pit-stop in Camden that night.  My fellow friends took me to the album launch for Mr.Hudson (also Kentish Town resident!) at The Enterprise.  We congregated in the pub opposite the Roundhouse to see in the release of "Straight No Chaser" whilst the audience of The Electric Proms spilled out of the venue over the road.  When I got home to KTown, The Doves gig was being televised straight after the show so infact I didn't miss out on that gig..............the perfect end to a weirdly Camden themed night!
I'm currently listening to The Charts (very necessary Sunday activity since my childhood) and the War Child single "I Got Soul" has landed at No.10  To help raise even more money for the fantastic unique charity helping children that didn't chose to grow up in cross-fire........you can buy the record here.
 






No comments: