Sunday 24 April 2011

Sun 24th April: Revisiting SHOWstudio's Leigh Bowery/Nick Knight Print Competition Winners Part III





Here is the third part to my series re-visiting the winners of the 2004 SHOWstudio's Leigh Bowery/Nick Knight Print Competition and where the portraits are now. Having caught up with Paul Weymes and Miguel Jacob now its my turn ....... and as its Simon Foxton's birthday its quite an apt choice of day. Simon Foxton judged the competition and his decision made a massive impact on my life by answering my prayers! I crossed all 10 ten fingers and toes that I might possibly pull thourgh the list of applicants. Like Paul, I never win anything so I was doubly chuffed to find out this one had been a success! What an incredible and magical thing to have! Its a daily reminder to be strong in sticking to my guns in sharing my creativity and staying true to my vision..........

This Polaroid was taken in my Dalston bedroom when I had just schlepped the gigantic print back from picking it up off Penny Martin at SHOWstudio. I transported it standing at the front of the No.55 bus which I can't believe I did now (even though I still can't afford a cab). Here is the print resting in its new place next to my books having been upgraded off the rail since I have a wardrobe! The third photo is the self-portrait I took for the brief with the Rainbow Brite costume I made and protractor and gift bow accessories from my degree collection..........

If I ever have to answer one of those interview questions "What item would you save from your house if it was burning down?" ....... my Leigh Bowery print is always the answer. I feel tremendously privileged to have been put in possession of such an important thing. I can say hand on heart that its gone to a good home and I appreciate it today as much as the day I put all my energy into entering the competition in the hope of winning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inspirational prints. This post reminds me of when I went to visit Matisse's scissors art work recently. They were utterly interesting.