Tuesday 26 March 2013

Tues 26th March: "David Bowie Is" at The V&A (photos via RBPM)











I am a die-hard Bowie fan.  Ive collected the records, have pictures on my wall............ hunt out Kansai Yamamoto in thrift stores ........... only fancy men in makeup (that's another story)........... and basically bow to the phophet of cool at every altar .......... such as the Terry O'Neill portrait in Liberty's menswear department.  I'm agnostic but Rainbowie is possibly the closet thing I have to practising religion, worshiping false idols.
So on finding out the V&A were putting on a major Bowie retrospective, the pilgrimage to the mecca on Museum Street was made.
Unfortunately photos aren't allowed so here are images contributed from Rob Myers who stealthily snapped the private view to share the experience ....... from the ticket stub to Tilda Swinton.
Although I presume Im fairly well informed on all things Space Oddity, I actually learnt so much new information and anecdotes from this heavily annotated show.  For example I didn't even realise the original "Scary Monsters" artwork of of Brian Duffy's photographs collaged in a painting by Edward Bell is absolutely MASSIVE............ that Lauren Bacall was an inspiration for his portrait on Hunky Dory ........ that Ziggy Stardust was shot on Heddon Street.......... that Sonia Delauney's dadaist theatre costumes influenced his outfit for "The Man Who Sold The World" performance on Saturday Night Live with Klaus Nomi, which laterlly gave Klaus his signature wide shoulder silhouette..............

The show is jam-packed with incredible material - both physical objects and stories relating and re-telling each stage on the evolution of his career.  Book your ticket now if you haven't already, this is an absolute must see and cant be missed.......... especially the exceptional events schedule.  

23 March – 11 August 2013

Thanks to Rob for the imagery :  )

2 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

I loved it at want to go again - the room with the floor to ceiling screens was a total surround-sound Bowie Fest. And you met Tilda too. Wow.

Unknown said...

I love david bowie, I really really really wish that I could go there :( Im sure youre gonna have lots of fun!
Greetings from Canada,
Tina