Wednesday 27 January 2010

Thurs 28th Jan: Knitwear by AMS

Here is something so fresh, you can almost still smell the lanolin from the sheep that were shorn for these literally "off the hook" sweatshirts.  Artist Danny Sangra sent me a sneak preview of his first ever exploration into the world of wearable illustration under the title "AMS" which is a venture in collaboration with knitwear designer Lynnda Needles.  Whilst shooting the look book for the collection at the weekend, Danny shot this trailer of the proceedings.  So whilst the images of the knits are being compiled we can preview the sexy slouchy styles of "A Minute's Silence" in this sixties style snippet.  Personally I would like to bag the lux blue number with yellow triangle elbow pads.............apparently when you purchase one of these investment pieces, it comes wrapped with care in a hand made moth repellent bag alongside an original drawn artwork!  
I quickly flung an impromptu interview together to get a sense of where the duo are coming from.............in true spirit of my blog the answers er on humour rather than fact..........but as you may detect these jokers are actually deadly serious and AMS should be penned down on your wishlist ASAP.........For example the "Corgi" that I inquire after is not actually the breed of dog as they lead you to believe.........it is infact a British heritage knitwear company that have previously worked with COMMES Des GARCONS...........

a)  How do you and Lynnda know each other?
 
Lynnda Needles:  We met in Prison.
Danny Sangra: It was kinda of like a cross between Porridge and Tango and Cash 

b)  Who else does Lynnda collaborate with..........?
 
LN:  I have been collaborating with Carolyn Massey, on her knitwear, for the past 3 seasons. I am excited as the braided belts and accessories that I hand made for her are about to hit the shops for Spring Summer. 
 
I have also been working with Von Sono on knitwear for the past 4 seasons, although she is taking a having twins break. I work on knitwear with her and was also behind the hand crafted masks...
 
 
c)  What are the influences for this collection...........the patterns and colours?  Does it have a name?
 
LN:  Danny's crazy brain full of patterns. When I see it I see it in textile form...this season we have made hand frame knitted garments, our next project could be anything!
 
All the garments are named after characters from Jean-Luc Godards film Band a Part - Franz/Arthur/Odile/Anna/Luc - Where we got our name from...

DS: Yes the name came from the scene in Bande a Parte when Godard cuts the sound out of the film. It's the point when they must think up a plan. Anna Karina was a big influence on the collection  

d)  How did you discover Corgi and was it fun visiting thier workshop?
 
LN:  We were having tea with the queen and I mentioned how much I liked her socks.

DS: Needles is always having tea with Liz the second

e)  What is your target market and how/where will you be selling?
 
LN:  We are looking to show our collection to buyers during London fashion week, we obviously have a list of shops we would love to be stocked in, so fingers crossed! We will also be taking personal orders - Fred?
 
f)  What was your favourite piece of knitwear from your childhood...........what is your current favourite as an adult?
 
LN:  My 100% acrylic bumble bee dungaree's as a child. As a fully grown adult my         100% cashmere bumble bee dungaree's, I'm now a yarn snob.
DS: A hand knitted cardigan my gran knitted.........The 'Franz' roll neck blue cardigan with the triangle patches we had made as it was made for me

No comments: