Monday 12 July 2010

Mon 12th July: Milly Freeman








I received an enticing invitation to the Brighton University Graphic Design and Illustration degree show in London. They had printed their logo onto a hard black card with my favourite iridescent spectrum foil which was very alluring!
They set up their exhibition in The Rochelle School which is the beautiful location in East London's Arnold Circus where I showed earlier in the year for IYC. As soon as I walked in, one of the first artists on show was an immediate favourite and I loved looking through her hand printed and bound books such as "Lunch With The Lions In Trafalgar Square" (top 2 images). Milly Freeman also created these gorgeous Paradise Word Birds which were designed around their characters, performances and first letter of its name. These birds invented in collaboration with graphic designer Rowan Powell have also been put into motion in this short animation.
The blocks of colour and clean edge styling of these characters totally taps into the 70's illustration (Eric Carle) that I'm influenced by so it was an obvious choice for my top pick from the class. The beautiful presentation of the prints and book with laser cut letters in bright contrast colour pages is something I would really hope to see becoming a future classic.



Paradise word birds from Milly Freeman on Vimeo.

No comments: