Saturday 10 October 2009

Sat 10th Oct: Shoplifter fills her trolley







This week I have had very exciting news that Shoplifter is in town and doubly excited that it is for her first London show!   For anyone that is not familiar with the artist known as "Shoppy" to her friends, here is a quick de-brief...........of Icelandic origin she now lives and works in NYC  with a secondary artists residency in Poland in addition to showing internationally............she is most typically associated with her sculptures made of human hair and famously the cover for Bjork's Medulla album based on a hair "Memory Flower" keepsake.............most recently her hair has taken over the windows of the MOMA in a Neon rainbow.............and now the continuation has concentrated on orange and umber tones conjuring up fire and flames to create the flickering palette for her "Burn" window at Trolley Gallery.
I haven't been free to pin her down for an interview yet but at the private view she disclosed that she is still really enjoying exploring the realms of hair and can't escape experimenting with the medium.  I want to find out where she got this particular accumulation of weaves from?............did she bring a case of it through customs or visit Dalston on arrival?  And how about the "Vanity Beast From Hell"?  I would love to see that being scanned on the nothing-to-declare monitor.   I do however know that its real hair as my guest Charlie Le Mindu assured me after a quick and decisive knowledgeable stroke.  Hopefully I can find out more details for a separate post and get to sit down and chill out with Hranhildur herself..........here's to hoping.......(I'm still in some deadline spiral with no immediate sunlight in sight)........

Another of my guests was Jamie E17 who I have to make a little shout out to here.........thank you so much for teaching me how to link........I have never been able to figure it out in the 2 years of writing this ..........so now I'm going link crazy.............all thanks to you!!!!!!!!  So go on everyone, do yourselves a favour and click on Jamie's link.........its an incredible read for any cultural thing out there...........

Thank you to Rosy for these photos!  LEGEND

No comments: