Thursday 8 March 2012

Thurs 8th March: Yayoi Kusama at Tate Modern


To mark International Women's Day I'm devoting today's post to a great inspiration - Yayoi Kusama. I travelled from Tate to Tate yesterday along the Thames on the special river boat service that links the two museums. If anyone hasn't done this yet, I recommend seeing the buildings of embankment this way.............. and I highly recommend the current two shows.
Here are snaps from around the Yayoi Kusama retrospective which shows the rich and varied back catalog of her drawing, mark-making, painting, sculpture, collage, costumes, fashion, videos, writing and installations. As you journey around the chronological collection of her works, you also follow the journey of her life relocating from Japan to the USA and back again. The highlight for me was her time in NYC exhibiting alongside the Pop artists and shooting film of her "orgies" of celebrating dots. Its free, liberating and joyous - I wish I could make work like this............who knows, lets see what happens next season........... Somerset House could do with some naturist hippies running around sticking polkadots on anything that moves.......
For more info and ticket booking, go here.

No comments: