Tuesday 2 September 2008

Tues 2nd Sept: Scirocco Studios

I picked up a little booklet in a cafe the other morning on the strength of the lovely portraits inside. I read the credit which was Neil Bridge and here is one of his photos of music video director Kinga Burza. (I got very envious of her book collection but on closer inspection I suspect it might be the library at Partizan because the books have catalogue stickers on the spine!).
As I looked at each portrait I began reading who the subject was and discovered the purpose of the cute little brochure. It is to advertise an exhibition which starts today just of Carnaby Street. "Traffic" who are the founders behind Insection magazine have curated a showcase of the VW Scirocco but inviting 5 designers to create a one-off piece inspired by the car. BORING! That's what I thought!? But no, it actually looks interesting because of the choice of exhibitors:

Industrial designer Phillipe Malouin has previously worked with Tom Dixon, Droog and Hermes.
Product designer Ben Wilson has collaborated with Adidas, Levis, Nike, Stussy and Swarovski.
Light Engineer Moritz Waldemeyer is the brain behind Hussein Chalayan's light collections.
Graphic Designers Hudson-Powell designed the recent London Fashion Week Industry newsletter.
Kinga Burza is the talent behind videos for Kate Nash, Tilly and the Wall, Calvin Harris and the MTV nominated" I kissed a girl"

The exhibition is on from today until Saturday at 5-6 Lowndes Court, London 10 a.m - 5 p.m

No comments: