Wednesday 8 September 2010

Weds 8th Sept: "Russian Dolls"





A few days before Couture week I was sent Ballets Russes references from Vogue to create them some accessories for a shoot by Tim Walker to celebrate the upcoming exhibition at the V&A. I set about making neck ruffles and cuffs from transparent cellophane as a modern twist on clown costumes. As runway images appeared from the shows in Paris, I was relieved to see that Stephen Jones had designed headgear for Dior from coloured florist cellophane. Its always an unknown venture working on bespoke pieces for shoots as so often they don't make the final edit (having seen the September Issue film I now know how this happens!). I crossed my fingers and hoped that the similarity in choice of materials might help assure my accessories finding their way into the story......... and hey presto, I'm as pleased as Punch (& Judy) to see them in the "Russian Dolls" feature. The ruffle is complemented with the cuffs turned into pom poms in the hair and then used again round the neck of the male model on the opening page. A dream come true to see my work appear in a Walker dreamscape for Vogue! Keep your eyes peeled for the beautiful bespoke gloves that appear courtesy of Gloved Up.

(Scans from the new October Issue and a snap of a Venetian glass style mask that didn't get used but now appears in a modified version on my artwork in the Dalston Superstore)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

love what you did with the cellophane neck ruffs! they couldn't have gone better with the story line and color pallet.