Thursday 11 December 2008

Thurs 11th Dec: Millinery Magic

I had the honour of being the sole student on a millinery course by RCA trained Andrew Macdonald who has made hats for both Couture shows and editorial commissions. It was such a lovely experience learning how to make a hat and also getting to know Andrew. Spending time in the tranquil surroundings of his studio based in The Chocolate Factory (Stoke Newington) was a very therapeutic way to while away a weekend. We sipped coffee, listened to Grace Jones and discussed everything from the hilarity of Diana Vreeland to Hibiscus of the Cockettes. I have an inkling that hat makers are born from a particular stock of serenity and silliness and I think I have finally found my calling. I have caught the millinery bug good and proper. Patiently hand stitching for hours on end to produce a finished article that you can wear on your head ................if only every day could be like that weekend..................to find out more about Andrews courses check out his blog...............

No comments: