Tuesday 14 September 2010

Thurs 16th Sept: "Cherry On The Cake" - Paper @ The V&A









I don't know about you, but one of my favourite parts about a museum visit is ending up in the gift shop! The Science Museum's collection of gizmos, gadgets and 3D specs is worth a visit without seeing the rest of the galleries! Meanwhile, over the road, the V&A gift shop is like a luxury accessories boutique, with the best books any birthday money can buy! So when the team approached me to design something for the 3rd edition of the ‘Cherry on the Cake’ designer collection, I was over the moon! I'm really enjoying having opportunities to tick off life-long dreams, and this is one of them! I'm ecstatic to think that excitable young creatives can pick up an accessories kit in the gift shop - as I would have been when I was younger.

The"Paper" collection focuses on the medium bringing together 12 artists working in traditional printmaking, paper engineering, typography and paper-cut techniques. My personal favourites are Charlotte Mann, Tom Martin, Rob Ryan and Chisato Tamabayashi.
Check out the whole range on display in the V&A Shop and online at www.vandashop.com


My piece is entitled "Cut Out & Keepsakes" - its a cardboard kit to make your own accessories which I designed based on a research trip to The Museum of Childhood. That was a chore - NOT! Here is the kit made up and displayed in a case of the gift shop and a photo of a detail of the type of paper cuts I make for gift cards which I also wanted to echo. (This is the 2nd product that I have had produced without the sticker sheet I'm still desperate to get made................ any sticker companies listening out there............please give me a ring!)

Watch the La Roux - Bulletproof video featuring my dodecahedron shapes that Ive reinterpreted for the range - here.

No comments: